Precision 21 Mast Raising System

Discussion about Precision 21

Precision 21 Mast Raising System

Postby hepcat » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:20 am

My P21 is a 1996, hull number 222 and is on a '96 Performance galvanized trailer. Having extensive mast-stepping experience with my Neptune 24's tall rig, I wanted an easy-to-use, one-person mast raising system setup.

There are a number of ways to step the mast on a sailboat. The most common is to use a gin pole and baby stays which is what I used on my Neptune but it was, frankly, a PITA in practice. It worked, but it wasn't simple. Precision Boat Works has come up with a trailer-mounted mast raising system that does away with the need for the free-standing gin pole. It can be a one-person operation with baby stays in place.

I called the factory to inquire about retrofitting my '96 Performance trailer with the mast raising system and they suggested that I just have a local welder build one, especially since I'm sailing in fresh water and don't need the galvanized steel. IIRC their "factory" setup is about $1400 and they've never shipped one, and didn't know if it would fit on a Performance trailer.

There was a newer P21 in mast-up storage where I store my boat that had a factory system in place. I took photos of it, and a friend of mine is an amazing and accomplished welder and fabricated a system like the factory uses from the photos shown here of the factory system. It is made of steel which is (poorly rattle-can) painted Rustoleum silver.

If you live in the Midwest and want a similar system built on your trailer, contact me for Jim's information. My mast raising system cost less than half the cost of the factory system, including steel and labor. It works as it should and makes mast-raising a pretty painless operation.

Here are photos of a stock factory system, and photos of my system in action stepping the mast on my P21.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHPAmbf
hepcat

Re: Precision 21 Mast Raising System

Postby Tom G, P-21 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:58 pm

Nice job! I have been tweaking my gin pole mast raising system but every time I use it its an adventure. When you said you painted it silver, you used the galvanizing spray paint that's available.
Tom G, P-21

Postby hepcat » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:59 pm

Tom G, P-21 wrote:Nice job! I have been tweaking my gin pole mast raising system but every time I use it its an adventure. When you said you painted it silver, you used the galvanizing spray paint that's available.

Thanks Tom. My friend who did the design and welding is very talented.

Nope... just good ol' Rustoleum silver. It's available everywhere, and it's cheap. The paint will scratch and scrape when the mast part is raised anyway, and the paint just protects the steel from rusting, so an annual sprayed touch-up will suffice. This is a freshwater boat and trailer. Even if it were salt water, the mast raising system is never submerged, so galvanizing isn't really necessary. That said, I store the crutch mast lashed to the trailer frame, so it does get submerged when I launch the boat.
hepcat

Postby Brian N- » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:42 pm

Not too different from how I raise the mast on my smaller P16.5 - good job!
Sailing is more than an obsession
Brian N-

Postby CHARJOHN63 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:20 pm

HELLOI; I HAVE POSTED A VERY SIMPLE MAST RAISING SYSTM IN THE "PRECSION OWNERS PAGE" UNDER MODIFICATIONS. ITS A TWO PERSON LIFT BUT VERY SIMPLE TO BUILD
CHARJOHN63

Postby Dan N » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:12 am

Hi new p21 owner and new to forum. I too wanted a simple mast raising system that can be done singlehanded. I have a young famity and need mom to help with them. I built a gin pole setup (you tube for details on this). The biggest problem. I found is there was nowhere I could mount the baby stays to keep the mast from traveling left and right and trying to bend the mast step.

To get around this, I made a 3 point attachment to the following points 2 clip on the rings on the bottom on the lifeline stantions forward and aft of the center point of mast. The third I drilled and tapped the top back corners of the front rail and attached a small bracket. On the end of the cables i put spring latches. Then I attached cables from these 3 points and the baby stays to a 3" ring. The rings are now in line with the pivot point of the mast when connected. This with very little pressure (under 10 lbs, I was nervous about attaching anything to them) keeps the mast straight, and has allowed me to raise and lower mast single handed. After I just stow the cables. I would post pics now but I am in new england and have to wait till spring. Sorry
Dan N

Return to P-21