New P 21 (to me)

Discussion about Precision 21

New P 21 (to me)

Postby Jay M » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:00 pm

Hello all, I have recently acquired a 1988 P 21, #29. The PO did extensive work to bring her up to speed, New sails, Standing rigging, some lines, some cushions. She is however lacking any navigational aids, or a bilge pump. My previous boat was a very old Boston Whaler that had a chart plotter and an electric bilge pump w/float switch. I was able to keep the chart plotter, but is a sailboat this size better suited to a handheld? I have not sailed since High School, almost 30 yrs ago. I could get some sort of swing arm, or I was thinking of making a lower drop board to hold all the Nav Aids, then stow them below out of sight and the elements when not in use. As far as the bilge pump goes, I called PBW today and they assured me the boat was originally sold with a Whale Gusher pump, but I can not find any evidence of one ever being there. The last, and maybe most important item I need to add is a sounder, does anyone have any experience with gluing a puck style transducer under the v-birth? I did find a picture of that on the PBW website. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated, hope to be sailing on Long Island Sound soon! thanks in advance, Jay
Jay M

Re: New P 21 (to me)

Postby admin » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:58 pm

Jay,

Depth sounder transducers usually work pretty well epoxied inside the hull. If you want to test several locations, make a circular dam with modeling clay, fill with water and place the transducer in the water. This simulates the coupling you would achieve with epoxy. You can try several places and see which one works best.

Bob
admin
Site Admin

Postby Jay M » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:16 pm

OK, so i looked under the v birth and found an old transducer glued down with silicone. It was placed all the way forward, and a hole had been cut into the liner to glue it to the outer hull. I am going to try that spot with hot glue to see how it works before i use epoxy. I have wired my GPS and sounder in, but still need to get some material to replicate the lower drop board, and flush mount everything there. Might just use plywood first to see if I like everything there or not. Going to buy a whale gusher tomorrow, not sure what the best side to locate that would be. Factory calls for starboard, but there are all the wires and battery over there, was maybe thinking to locate it to port like Tom Scott did on his P18 in the book.
Jay M

Postby Jay M » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:25 pm

Getting so close to splash time! Whale gusher is in, I mounted it on the starboard side of the cockpit between the sail locker and the transom. That way I can get at it for service, but it won't leak directly over the battery should it develop one. Put five gallons in the bilge and pumped it out, no visible leaks in the system. I'm pretty sure the source of water was that the seal from the anchor locker drain had eroded away, it looked like rain water followed the pvc pipe back and dripped onto the little shelf over the v-birth and behind the portable head, no new water after re-sealing then a heavy rain. One more coat of paint on the drop board/instrument cluster, bottom paint, and put her in as soon as my slip is ready! Getting excited to sail again after so long. I have named her "Palmetto" and will have a proper re-naming ceremony one my decals arrive. Jay
Jay M

Postby Tom G, P-21 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:00 pm

I'm surprised there wasn't a hole there for the bilge pump. I thought it was standard, could someone had glassed it in? Glad to here you've read Tom's book, it captures most of the issues of the Precision. Two things to keep an eye out for is the deck seam and the cockpit drain leaks.
Tom G, P-21

Postby Jay M » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:04 am

Hey Tom,
The first guy I spoke with at PBW was sure there was a bilge pump, but I could find no evidence of one, no apparent glassed over areas. He told me to email him pictures, which I did, but I never heard back. The person I spoke with next figured it must have been ordered without one. There was also no hole cut for the hose to enter the centerboard trunk, or an exit through the transom. It was quite nerve racking drilling all these holes into the boat for the install, but I am happy with the results. Tried to post pics, but having picture resize issues.
Jay M

Return to P-21