Adding a Traveller

Discussion about Precision 165

Adding a Traveller

Postby DgS » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:34 pm

After studying the transom and designing and building a bridge over the tiller, I have perhaps the only traveller on a 165. I wanted to develop more technical sailing experience, so I wanted to add a Cunningham and traveller. The Cunningham was simple, but the traveller required much more thought and on the fly problem solving. In the end I have a fully functional pin stop system from Harken that should provide some performance improvement and allow me to take my sailing skills to the next level. And since I made it out of teak I think it also looks great. I'm really eager to see how it works.

Derek Steiner
Precision 165 Anibare
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (92.65 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
Derek Steiner
Precision 165 Anibare
DgS

Re: Adding a Traveller

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:55 pm

Derek,

That is one fine looking traveler. Well done!

Let us know how it works for you.

Bob
Bob

Postby DgS » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:50 pm

Bob wrote:Derek,

That is one fine looking traveler. Well done!

Let us know how it works for you.

Bob

I was able to go sailing this weekend and had a chance to really try out the traveler. It worked great and I noticed a measurable difference, which was nice to see given the effort it took to install it! The wind was decent and we ended up cruising along at better than 4.5 knots.
Derek Steiner
Precision 165 Anibare
DgS

Postby Rickanderson » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:21 am

Forgive my sailing ingnorance, but how does a traveller help? I have a P15K and would like to increase its performance.
Rickanderson

Postby Bob » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:10 pm

Rickanderson wrote:Forgive my sailing ingnorance, but how does a traveller help? I have a P15K and would like to increase its performance.

The traveler is used to flatten the sail in heavy wind on a reach so there is less healing.

In a reaching situation where the wind is near 90 degrees of the boat, you would let your main sheet out to get the boom and sail at the proper angle. If the main sheet is attached to the boat on the centerline, the boom tends to lift and the sail gets a lot of draft which causes a lot of healing. A boomvang can keep the boom down but it has limited power to bring it down enough to flatten it much.

The traveler can move the attachment point of the main sheet out and more nearly under the end of the boom. Then when you harden the main sheet the force of the main sheet is more down and not inward toward the centerline. The force down flattens the sail but doesn't move the boom inward.

I hope that isn't to convoluted to understand.

Bob Abbott
Bob

Return to P-165